Sony Pmw F55 Cinealta 4k Digital Cinema Camera
The Sony PMW-F55 4K Live Package comprises of the PMW-F55 Camera, the CA4000 Camera Adaptor, the BPU4000 Baseband Processor Unit and the VCT-FSA5 shoulder mount adaptor.
Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Digital Cinema Camera
Equipped with a Sony 4K sensor for gorgeous, super-sampled HD, 2K and 4K, the PMW-F55 CineAlta camera shoots spectacular images with its 8.9 megapixels (effective) Sony 4K image sensor. You get superb dynamic range, the widest color gamut, and pristine image quality, whether you shoot in HD, 2K or 4K. Multiple recording formats includes HD/2K/4K on SxS memory and 16-bit RAW 2K/4K on AXSM media Multiple recording formats include MPEG-2 HD422, MPEG4 SStP, XAVC 2K/HD, XAVC QFHD/4K and 16-bit RAW 2K/4K. You can have simultaneous recording on internal high-speed SxS PRO+ memory cards and RAW 2K/4K recording on sleek AXSM memory cards using the optional bolt-on AXS-R5 recorder, designed specifically to attach seamlessly to the F55 camera.
CA4000 Camera Adapter
The CA4000 is one of the components of the 4K Live Camera System using the PMW-F55 camera. It transmit 4K signals that are output from the PMW-F55 camera to the BPU4000 Based Band Processor unit. 4K signals are transmitted to the BPU-4000 via standard SMPTE fiber cable.
BPU4000 Baseband Processor Unit
The BPU4000 works with the CA4000 to route 4K signals from the PMW-F55 Super 35mm 4K CMOS sensor camera. The BPU4000 generates 4K and HD signals at a similar colour matrix to match to the current Sony HD camera system, 4K and HD signal outputs simultaneously. The BPU4000 works with the HDCU-2000/2500 to permit the same system operation as the current HDC camera system. The BPU4000 works with the same range of Remote Control Panels (RCPs) and Master Setup Units (MSUs) as current HDC Series system cameras, providing a future-proofed migration path for customers. The system works across standard SMPTE fibre cables for distances up to 2,000m.
Sony VCTFSA5 Shoulder Mount
The VCT-FSA5 shoulder mount accessory plate, is specifically designed for documentary style shooting with PMW-F55 & F5 series cameras. It includes two 15mm rods, two rosettes compatible with Arri accessories and attachment for Sony VCT-14, quick release tripod plate. Thanks to its minimalistic, design with low optical center and weight balancing mechanism; it enables comfortably operating the camera for hours on end. It has a slot running down the center for adjusting the camera position front to back for balancing the weight depending on the lens; which in combination with the viewfinder’s adjustable bracket and clutch arm, enables the camera be comfortably fitted to persons of different builds and heights.
Sony PMW-F55 Features
- The PMW-F55’s Sony 4K image sensor captures a true 4K 4096 x 2160 DCI-standard cinema image. Its 4K CMOS sensor features 11.6 megapixels (total) and 8.9 megapixels (effective). The “Frame Image Scan” technology used by F55 sensor eliminates flash band and image artifacts common to conventional CMOS sensors.
- The sensor captures with an impressive 14 stops of exposure latitude with excellent sensitivity and low noise. The F55 image sensor is also equipped with the same advanced color filter array technology used in Sony’s flagship F65, which delivers color gamut that’s wider than 35mm motion picture print film.
- The F55 CineAlta camera provides the choice recording of three formats to SxS cards – MPEG-2, 50Mbps HD422 plus two 10-bit mastering formats: XAVC at HD, 2K & 4K resolution, plus SR Codec (HDCAM SR) at 440Mbps or 220Mbps. 16-bit Linear 2K/4K RAW recording to the optional AXS-R5 recorder preserves the greatest latitude for color correction.
- Sony’s 16-bit recording captures 16x more tonal values than 12 bit RAW. Thus it’s the ideal acquisition format for the 16-bit linear Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow.
- The F55 features high frame-rate on-board XAVC HD and 4K recordings up to 60 fps, plus a free planned upgrade to XAVC, QFHD up to 60 fps in addition to XAVC 2K/HD up to180 fps. It also offers 240 fps 2K RAW with the optional AXS-R5 outboard recorder and a planned upgrade, achieving the highest frame rates most productions will need.
- Simultaneous RAW and onboard camera SxS recording provides a coordinated off-line, on-line workflow with simultaneous recording to internal SxS cards and the optional AXS-R5 RAW recorder. For seamless conforming in post, you get matching time code, start frame, stop frame, and file names.
- The F55 is equipped with Sony’s large diameter, robust, FZ-mount which is compatible with virtually all 35mm DSLR, and Cine lenses with simple inexpensive lens adapters. It ships with a PL-mount compatible with Cooke/i and Arri LDS.
- The F5/F55 excellent camera ergonomics enable comfortably shooting for long periods of time. The camera head, viewfinder and shoulder mount can be adjusted to fit any shooter and optimized for different lens configurations. Their clean, flexible architecture enables shooting in many configurations.